How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Car?

Mercedes-Benz EV Charging

 

EV charging times will vary depending on which method you choose to charge your electric vehicle in Rye. How long does it take to charge an electric car on average? Different EVs have different battery packs—and electric car charging times will vary depending on the model you choose. With Level 2 charging, a new EQS can be charged from 0% to 100% in under 12 hours. If you’re in a hurry, locate a public Level 3 Charging station to recharge from 10% to 80% in less than 40 minutes.

We can help you learn more about the three main types of EV charging — domestic charging, rapid domestic charging, and public charging—and you can chat with the experts at Mercedes-Benz of Greenwich about the specific charging times for your vehicle. Read on or contact us to learn more!

EV Charging Time According to Charger Type

Level 1 – Domestic Outlet Home Charging (Regular Outlet)

A normal grounded (three-prong) 110V/120V charging outlet doesn’t offer a fast charging speed, but it may be a good option for topping off some of the charge you used commuting to work that day. Level 1 charging takes around 24 hours or more for a full charge. In reality, and with your daily driving, it will take days, not hours, to charge with this method.

Level 2 – Installed Brand-Approved Domestic Charging

Level 2 Charging is typically professionally installed. It uses rapid 240V+ chargers most often made for your brand of car. It will have significantly faster charging rates than using a regular grounded household outlet—making it perfect for overnight recharging.

Electric Vehicle Charging Station (Public)

Public charging stations are becoming increasingly popular around Stamford and surrounding towns. You’ll often find charging stations at big-name national stores. These charging stations vary in type and speed, so you may encounter either Level 2 Public Charging or Level 3 Public Charging. 

Level 2 public charging works about as quickly as Level 2 charging at home. But if you’re going to be running errands or relaxing around town for several hours or more, plugging into a Level 2 charging station ensures that you’ll be ready to go when the day’s work is done.

Level 3 DC fast chargers allow you to obtain an 80% charge in 30-40 minutes. However, the remaining 20% will take longer due to the diminishing rate of charging speed. Since Level 3 charging stations take a greater toll on your battery, we recommend this option only when time is of the essence—for example, when you’re making a long-distance trip!

Electric Car Charging Time: Domestic Charging

Domestic car charging times vary based on whether you choose Level 1 or Level 2 charging. This is what you need to know:

  • Level 1: Electric vehicle charging time can take days to fully charge an electric car. 
  • Level 2: EV charging time can take several hours to fully charge an electric car. This means New Canaan drivers can offer 60-200 miles of range in just 20-30 minutes with Level 2 DC charging, though.

Electric Car Charging Time: Public Charging

Home chargers offer 3.7 kW or 7 kW charging, public stations, on the other hand, offer 22 kW charging, 43-50 kW rapid charging, and 150 kW rapid charging. For some vehicles you could get a full charge (0-100%) in an hour or so. In other cases it could take 4 hours, 6 hours, or 11 hours for a full charge. 

Explore Electric Vehicles in Greenwich

How long does it take to charge an electric car? Explore electric vehicles with Mercedes-Benz of Greenwich in Greenwich, and find your perfect match. Contact us to learn more about available charging methods for your vehicle. Not ready to make the jump? Check out available hybrid models.

More from Mercedes-Benz of Greenwich

  • Mercedes-Benz G-Class Price & Trims

      It’s hard to deny the performance and style of a new Mercedes-Benz SUV. However, if you want the ultimate Mercedes-Benz SUV that delivers incredible off-road performance and an iconic design to turn heads around Stamford, there’s no better option than the 2024 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV. The new Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV is ready to add…

  • Mercedes-Benz GLC Colors

      Are you looking for the perfect new Mercedes-Benz model to join you on your Rye adventures? Consider upgrading to a 2023 Mercedes-Benz GLC. The new Mercedes-Benz GLC features incredible styling and a comfortable interior so you can enjoy satisfying Stamford drives. Before you work with our experts to learn about the online buying process,…

  • Mercedes-Benz EQE Sedan Interior

      Electric vehicles come with a wide range of perks such as less maintenance than a traditional gas-powered vehicle and impressive charging times. If you’ve been thinking about upgrading to a Mercedes-Benz electric vehicle, one of our most popular models is the Mercedes-Benz EQE Sedan. The 2023 Mercedes-Benz EQE Sedan comes packed full of performance…

Mercedes-Benz of Greenwich 41.024908, -73.635592.