How to Sell a Car at a Dealership
If you’ve got your eye on the upcoming Mercedes-Benz lineup around Rye, you’re probably wondering, “how does selling your car to a dealership work?” Most dealerships offer buyback programs where they’ll buy your current vehicle for cash or subtract its value from the cost of your next new or used car. Whichever option you choose, you’ll find that learning how to sell a car at a dealership isn’t as difficult as it seems. Sell your Mercedes-Benz with Mercedes-Benz of Greenwich, and contact us if you have any other car buying questions.
Preparing to Sell to a Dealership
Learning how to sell your Mercedes-Benz near Greenwich, CT shouldn’t have to bring you stress. Here’s what you can do to prepare before visiting a dealership like our own:
- Clean Up Your Car: When you go to sell your Mercedes-Benz, show your car off in the best condition possible by taking the time to wash and detail your car. It’s also a good idea to take care of small repairs like windshield wipers or floor mats to increase the value when visiting the dealership.
- Write Down the Benefits Of Your Car: If you’ve put work into your model, write down the additional features and accessories found with the vehicle, like extra key fobs or bike mounts. These additions and a detailed history of maintenance go a long way in increasing your value.
- Have Your Car’s Title on Hand: Save time at the dealership and receive your offer faster by ensuring you have the vehicle’s title on hand. (Can you sell a car without a title in hand? In some cases, the answer is yes—and we provide more detail below.)
- Research Your Car’s Value: Take the time to research your model with tools from Cars.com, Kelley Blue Book, or our trade-in value tool. When you sell your Mercedes-Benz near Greenwich, CT, this research can help negotiate your price or give you an approximate value for what to expect from the dealership.
- Pick Your Dealership Wisely: Consider your vehicle’s condition. Newer, gently used models are more likely to sell at dealerships around Stamford and New Canaan. However, if you’re looking to sell an older model car, you’ll find it’s easier to sell at used car dealerships instead.
How Does Selling Your Car to a Dealership Work?
Once you’ve made your preparation, how does selling your car to a dealership work?
- Make an Appointment: If it’s time to sell your Mercedes-Benz, start by making an appointment. Dealers will happily take walk-ins, but making an appointment gives the dealer time to prepare the necessary documents for a faster process.
- Used Car Manager: You’ll then meet with the Used Car Manager or a salesperson to handle the sale. They’ll gather your information and run a vehicle history report.
- Inspection: Your vehicle will then be thoroughly inspected by the Used Car Manager or technician in our Greenwich service center. We’ll assess its structural and mechanical condition.
- Consider the Offer: Once the inspection is complete, you’ll receive an offer that you can choose to accept. You can also negotiate, or see if you can get a better offer from another dealership.
Can You Sell Your Car Without a Title in Hand?
Do you need a title to sell a car? In most cases, the answer is yes—but there are two scenarios where it’s possible to move forward without a title. One of these is fairly common, while the other is less so. Here’s what you should know about selling a car without a title in Connecticut:
- A title is generally required in order to sell a vehicle, but if you’ve lost the title or don’t have one, you have options. You can request a a new title by filing Connecticut’s title replacement application with your local DMV. If you’re the registered owner, you should have no trouble securing a replacement.
- When you finance a vehicle, the title is held by the lender until the vehicle is paid off. If you want to sell the vehicle before you’ve finished your payments and acquired the title, the lender (AKA lien holder) must release you from your obligations in advance. If you sell to our dealership, we can complete this step for you!
- If the vehicle that you’d like to sell is more than 20 model-years old, a title is actually not required for the sale! In Connecticut, you can fill out a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership form to complete this transaction.
Car Dealership vs. Private Owner: Advantages of Selling to a Dealership
If you’re comparing car dealerships vs. private owners before selling your current vehicle, you’re certainly not alone. Deciding to sell your Mercedes-Benz likely came with a lot of consideration, so why should you sell to a dealership? There are a couple of benefits to selling with a dealership like Mercedes-Benz of Greenwich:
- Save Time & Avoid Hassles: When you sell your Mercedes-Benz through a private sale, you’ll have to consider the time commitment that goes into listing your car online, and the stress that comes from fielding buyers and inviting them to your New Canaan-area home for test drives. Selling to a dealership lets you avoid that hassle.
- Lower Your New Car Price: If you already had a new model in mind, using your vehicle as a trade-in allows you to save on your purchase by applying your vehicle’s value towards your new car.
- Save on Your Taxes: Trading in your current vehicle also allows you to save on your taxes because, with the purchase of another vehicle, you’ll only pay taxes on the difference between your trade-in value and the cost of your new car.
Explore Your Buying and Selling Options with Mercedes-Benz of Greenwich!
As you can see, learning how to sell your car at a dealership doesn’t have to cause you stress. Whether you’re putting extra cash in your pocket or have your eye on a new Mercedes-Benz, we’re here to help. Take a look at our other car buying tips, or reach out to the knowledgeable team in our finance center to explore your options.
More from Mercedes-Benz of Greenwich
The 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLC SUV may seem like any other luxury SUV at first glance but it’ll certainly stand out on the Rye roads. Its exterior styling is handsome and stylish while its interior is packed full of features and amenities. There’s plenty to appreciate with the new Mercedes-Benz GLC and that’s clear as soon…
The styling of a new Mercedes-Benz is sure to turn heads on the Rye roads. With flowing lines and sophisticated design elements, you’ll be looking back at your ride almost every time if you’ve got a Mercedes-Benz. The 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLC is no different and it offers an exterior design that’ll impress those you pass…
Driving nearly any new Mercedes-Benz vehicle on the Rye roads will deliver you an experience you won’t forget. However, if you’re looking for the ultimate luxury vehicle that comes packed with incredible innovations, there’s no better choice than a 2022 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan. The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan builds upon a legendary reputation and offers…